The Tennis Cafe began in 2005 as ‘Eastbourne Community Tennis’. It was just Francis and Gemma with their car and some balls delivering sessions on the town’s public courts. In 2010 they took over the current site in Gildredge Park. It wasn’t quite what it is now … derelict courts and a rotting tiny wooden shed. Over the years it has taken over £400k to renovate the courts and build the cafe and indoor studio.
Our vision has always been to provide a facility where everyone is welcome without the stuffy and restrictive approach of a traditional tennis club. We like to think we have been successful, with well over 1000 people visiting us each week and being four time winners of the Sussex LTA Community Venue of the Year award.
As well as getting lots of people playing tennis, we have also had some great results. We now have the best LTA Mini Tennis u8 Team in the county and are one of the strongest in every other mini tennis age group. Francis has also been awarded the Sussex LTA Coach of the Year award.
Our coaching philosophy is really simple, we want tennis to become everyone’s lifetime sport. Our job is to make sure adults and children develop all the skills required to really enjoy playing.
Our coaching team is the strongest it has ever been …
* David Gabb, LTA Master Performance Coach (level 5), former coach to ATP/WTA players
* Francis Mackie, LTA Coach (level 4), former ATP player and ITF seniors world no3
* Craig Wells, LTA Coach (level 4), former Sussex County player
* Gemma Mackie, LTA Assistant Coach, Club Director
* Joseph Parks, LTA Assistant Coach, Sports Science undergraduate